Welcome to another Meatless Monday. Today I’m sharing a variation of a “taco” or Mexican pizza that is very customizable, delicious, and nutritious. I hope you enjoy these recipes and take a chance on a new dining experience.
- 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 2 large Portabella mushroom caps, stems and gills removed (I use D’Lightful as they have 100% vitamin D each)
- 1 ear fresh corn, shucked
- 1 cup refried beans (check label to make sure they are vegetarian)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2%)
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese (2%)
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican Four Cheese blend (2%)
- 1 cup salsa (we prefer Pace Medium)
- 2 green onions / scallions
- Cilantro for garnish
Spray grill with PAM Olive Oil and preheat to medium
Brush mushrooms and corn with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Grill 4 – 5 minutes (there should be visible grill marks on corn). Turn occasionally.
Slice mushroom caps thinly. Using a large knife, cut kernels off cob in long swipes.
Spread refried beans and salsa evenly over crust as the “sauce”. Top with mushrooms, corn, cheese, scallions, and tomatoes.
Place pizza on grill and cook about 7 minutes, or until bottom of crust is crisp and has nice grill marks.
Sprinkle shredded/chopped cilantro on pizza, cut, and serve!
Optional: Serve with such individualized toppings as shredded lettuce, jalapeños, sour cream, avocado / guacamole